Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Asian Fusian


I love Asian inspired dishes! For dinner last night I made Asian veggie stir-fry, Cilantro lime rice, and spicy garlic shrimp...It was delicious!!!!

I began with the rice. I just used Uncle Ben's instant rice and made about a 1.5 cups. Once it was done cooking and sitting, I added the juice from three limes and about three table spoons of cilantro. This had a very strong lime flavor and, honestly, was my least favorite part of the meal. I was hoping it would taste like the rice from Chipotle...it doesn't! 

Next I made the spicy garlic shrimp. I found this recipe on pintrest and had to try it. I began with a pound of shrimp that had already been peeled and de-vained. Sit those aside while you make the sauce. For the sauce combine 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons chili sauce, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 2 teaspoons of Chinese rice wine (I used Sherry cooking wine), and a teaspoon of of sugar. (These ingredients were difficult for me to find in my grocery store but I finally found them in the "ethnic foods" aisle)

Once you have your sauce made set it aside and chop 4 cloves of garlic. add the garlic to two tablespoons of olive oils and let the combination simmer for about 30 seconds, until the garlic becomes aromatic.  Then add your shrimp and let them cook until both sides are pink. Finally add the sauce mixture and allow the shrimp to finish cooking. 

The shrimp and sweet and spicy at the same time with very complex and layered notes of flavor. I will definitely be making them again. 

The Asian veggies are probably the easiest part of the meal. I bought a bag of the pre-cut vegetables that included broccoli, snow peas, cabbage, and carrots. I simply sauteed the mixed vegetables in olive oil until almost done and then I added about 4 cloves of minced garlic and about three tables spoons of soy sauce. I let the veggies finish cooking in the garlic and soy sauce for a few more minutes.

The veggies were crisp yet soft with a yummy soy flavor! 

This was a delicious, healthy meal that I will definitely make again, maybe minus the rice!       



No comments:

Post a Comment